answer to modem help and does ANYONE WANT MY PCMCIA WINMODEM?

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.org
Sat Jan 5 16:42:32 CST 2002

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Eric Gilliland wrote:

> the modem because it was a software modem, which it certainly is not.  As
> some of you know, I recently replaced my old winmodem with this one because
> it is NOT a software modem.   It is a US Robotics 56k Performance Pro modem,
> Model 5610A.  Any suggestions?

I'd see if it showed up in the message log file, something like /dev/cua3
or something:

less /var/log/messages

My last modem there were a few special initialization instructions for
Linux using setserial and stty to give it an interrupt and a comm port.
This might be the case if its a PNP modem to get it going.   Here's a
little instruction snippet off the newsfroups:

8< 8< 8< snip! snip! snip!