Linux in Schools

GodfatherofSoul mbellamy at kc.rr.com
Wed Feb 27 19:05:26 CST 2002

This is what I expected.  The exact situation of the high school I
worked at.

1.)    Administrators like to throw money at problems.  "Buy the
products with the best advertising, to hell with support personnel."

2. )    Linux could still find a home in the server arena.

3.)    "...because we buy the most expensive, best advertised products
and we need personnel to support them".  Maybe I had a bad experience,
but our Novell/M$ admins were absolutely worthless.

This is why I think schools without big budgets are a better, more
accepting audience.  You stand a much better chance of convincing a
school without the resources that you can build them a network rather
than some JoCo SuperInt. that he needs to get rid of GroupWise.  In any
case, building a freeware network from donations and such for either a
school in need or as a demonstration allows you to do work without
making major changes to existing infrastructure.  Assuming someone
actually makes the decision to convert, installing Linux on 200 desktops
will take some time :)

Also, a huge advantage for  building not converting is not having to
fight a battle for every WAN.  Setting up some networks where you know
the answer will be "yes" gives you experience, credibility, and probably
some contacts.