(OT) Re: Job Openings

zscoundrel zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Mon Feb 25 06:27:54 CST 2002

I have to agree with you, paying the bills can require certain
sacrifices, but there are LOTS of ways to pay the bills that earn $30k a
year, and many of them are fairly rewarding.  Unfortunately, some of
these things also involve being abused by cheap, ignorant, petty
tyrants. But most of these $30k solutions do not involve high levels of
I/T knowledge or extensive programming training.

Perhaps there are compensating perquisites in this position that we are
not aware of - or perhaps not - it was difficult to determine from the
information in the first note you posted.

To be fair, I must admit I had considered contacting you about the
position to get a better idea of what the job would actually encompass.
  I have been doing the same thing for several years and would like to
branch out a bit in a new direction. After seeing your response below, I
feel sure that I now have a crystal clear idea what the working
environment would be like.

Thank you for clearing THAT up!

While I don't have exposure to all the programming skills you listed,
the salary is about half what I have been making, so it would probably
all come out in the wash.  You should know that many successful business
leaders realize, programming skills are only about one-fifth of the
total skill set of any decent I/T geek.

One thing many of us I/T geeks HAVE become accustomed to in the last few
years is being treated like human beings and having a say in the way our
responsibilities are are handled.  This means that when we are hired for
our expertise, we expect the 'ignoranti' to shut their traps and listen
to what we have to say.

The "I could careless" [sic] attitude about an important issue like data
security is costly and damned dangerous - not just for us geeks, but for
the business as well.  Data security is as important to any business as
controlling cash flow, maintaining delivery schedules, paying bills or
even customer service.

I truly believe that if you paid more attention to critical issues like
these, you could probably afford to pay (and perhaps treat?) your
employees better.