Letter from my boss

Mike Coleman mkc+dated+1017183639.7e2c02 at mathdogs.com
Sun Feb 24 22:56:25 CST 2002

Steven Hildreth <s_p_hildreth at yahoo.com> writes:
> The point that Python has issues is unquestionable, IMHO they are:
> 	* Perceived as a "scripting" language (versus an application)

This may be construed as an advantage, however.  Many people (me included) see
using an interpreted scripting language for the "slow" part of a program and a
compiled language for the bottleneck as being a big win.  I think this was a
driving idea behind Ousterhout's Tcl, and there's an interesting paper on this
available here

        http://home.pacbell.net/ouster/

(in addition to the funny picture and probably insightful thoughts about
threading).  I wouldn't use Tcl today, but like Perl, it was a very important
trailblazer.

Mike