Wacky connector

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Fri Feb 22 04:35:49 CST 2002

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Bradley Miller wrote:

> Does anyone know where I can get a DB9 to RJ45 adapter?  I need ot route a
> serial connection outside my new camera enclosure . . . I had some adapters
> at one time that went from RJ45 to DB9 and DB25 . . . wired serial
> connectors up that way.  Anyone have any suggestions?

What sort of pinout do you need on the RJ45 side?  I probably have a few
lying around that came with Cisco gear.  Which leads me to today's rant:

I really wish there were a standard pinout for RJ-45 connections. Cisco,
Digi, Xyplex, ADC/Kentrox, Lantronix all have their own pinouts.  Which is
a pain when you want to wire, e.g., a multiport serial device from vendor
A to the console ports on your routers and switches from vendors B and C.
What's more, although some of the vendors were smart enough to make the
pinouts symmetric (rolling one of the connectors will give you a null
modem cable), some of them weren't.

BTW, this guy says he did it first:

    http://www.yost.com/computers/RJ45-serial/index.html