The C is dead, long live the C

Adam Turk aturk at waddell.com
Mon Feb 11 02:47:38 CST 2002

>>   Color-based source is an idiotic idea.  Right off the bat, what do
you do
>> with red-green color blindness?  B/W printers?  Using color to
highlight
>> information that's already being conveyed in some other way (italics,
bold,
>> underlining, shaded background?) is fine, but color can't be the only
>> method.

>A free operating system is an idiotic idea. Right off the bat, how do
you
>think programmers will work on it? At nighttime? People need to make a
>living! Plus, even if it succeeded, it would destabilize the economy by
>undercutting the legitimate operating systems, built by professionals
who
>know what they're doing. Free operating systems are toys for children,
not
>mission-critical enterprise operations...

></sarcasm> In other words,

>I propose we move beyond the point of calling creativity idiotic.

>-Jared

Yer stepn' on th' toes of th' free werld, man. Even if Color-based
source is not a good idea, it is an interesting idea. In the '70's,
desktop computers were considered a bad idea. But, I fairly sure you
aren't typing from a dumb terminal, Monty. You are probably right,
color-based source most likely creates unnecessary overhead on many
sides. But one or two ideas encapsulated in the scheme might be useful.
They may inspire something better. I garantee you the first pure fourth
gen language won't be black and white. Color will play an increasing
roll in computer programming as we begin to meld organic and machine.

Adam