Changing IP Addresses

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Feb 4 22:16:06 CST 2002

> From: JD Runyan
>

> On Mon, Feb ,  at 01:30:13PM -0600, Brian Densmore wrote:
> > <warning: may contain rantings>
> GUI tools are what are required for the average user to
> configure their machine.
> There are limits to what you can do effectively with these
> tools.
Excellent points!

>  I avoid
> mandrake, redhat, and
> many of the other distros for servers, because they are not
> good candidates.
> They tend to alter the default kernel, and libc
> configurations too much.
I had (almost) no problem with Mandrake as a web server
It took me a while to figure out how to not install X and KDE and Gnome,
but I did manage. Although I think a stray library or two made it in ;')

> Of course creating flavors that are more user friendly makes
> sense.  There
> just should be no edict that all the versions meet that
> qualification.
no argument here, but it could also be different configurations in the
same distro.

> already seeing a need to merge frame-buffer graphics into the
> Kernel to achieve
> the GUI speeds windows gets for games.  This is a necessary
> evil of sorts.
Ahh, but we can also not compile it into the kernel, or as a removable
module.
I'd like to see you try that with say Windoze Explorer. ;')
(sure you can do it, but the OS sure won't like it!)

> The biggest obstacles to overcome are the following.
> 1) The desktop applications must provide the ease of use, and
> the totality of the
>    functionality that MS products provide.
> 2) The psychological barrier of something different.  People
> like predictability,
>    and windows is clearly that.  You know how things work,
> even if they don't
>    always work well.  I would say the same of most of the
> major distros of
>    Linux.  The oddities of Linux are no more complex than the
> oddities of Windows,
>    and the difference between a mac and WinTel are not any
> more significant.  You
>    would encounter the same resistance moving a Windows user
> to a Mac as you
>    would to Linux.  Someone who tackles this must be prepared
> to orientate the
>    users to the new environment.
The truth of this is irrefutable.

Brian