high-speed access question

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Tue Apr 30 17:14:47 CDT 2002

At 11:30 AM 4/30/02 -0500, Gene Dascher wrote:
>I have comcast high speed service, and have never really had any problems
>with their service.  The thing I have a problem with is their policy banning
>VPNs from their system without paying an extra $50/month.  They also ban you
>from running any kind of server(ftp, mail, web) on their system.  I still
>can't get DSL in my area, or I'd switch.
>
>JM$.02
>
>Gene

My biggest problem was with telemarketer calling about service.  I
explained I already had DSL so she goes into this canned "so that goes
through your phone line, with cable modem you don't have to dial-in"
speech.  I explained that she didn't know what the **** she was talking
about.  That got me transferred to a manager who was just about as
clueless.   They never would admit on the phone that they don't REALLY give
you 10mb service and that they don't allow any services run over the cable
modem setup.  I kept saying "so I can host and have FTP, email, everything
just like I have on my DSL setup" and she just wanted to push for the "try
it for 30 days to see if it works for you".  DOH!

Oh, and the deal was, you pay $20 for installer and if you cancel in 30
days, they refund that money.  You then pay for equipment rental unless you
buy it outright.  She wouldn't give me free install and free hardware . . .
nor a Windows-free  installation choice.  Heheheh. I still love my DSL.

-- Bradley Miller