ADV:Harvest lots of Target Email address quickly

JD Runyan Jason.Runyan at nitckc.usda.gov
Mon Apr 22 19:35:27 CDT 2002

<semi related rant>
Clever.  I would like to say that one of the hardest things for
non-techies to use Linux is the office applications.  I'm not sure that
the same not-for-profit attitude can ploriferate office application
development, the way it has server and developer tools.  There has to be
a profit motive.  Linux, apache, and many others have done so well
because geeks need them to do thier jobs the way they want to.  I know
very few geeks who do more than a basic table in a spreadsheet.
Companies will pay geeks to work on Linux, apache, etc because it can be
used to assist the company to make a profit, by making thier
infrastructure cheaper, or for commerce itself.  The business case is
harder to make for Office Suites, because they are looked at more like a
desk or a pencil, and thus necessary pure debits.  Changing the view of
these products as being a business infrastructure tool will help, but I
am inclined to get in Sun's Line, and buy a copy of Star Office for
significantly less than the other guys, or buy from corel who makes a
great linux native product as well.  If you think of paying for software
as a means to support its future development, then you may be able to
accept the costs.  I hope that the open source software suits succeed.
I like some of them, and enjoy the freedom to change/fix things on my
own, but this doesn't work for Joe User.
</semi related rant>
--
Jason D. Runyan
Mid-Range Systems Administrator