Dwindling resources

Lucas Peet lpeet at eccod.com
Sat Apr 20 15:34:47 CDT 2002

Yeah, I think I'm going to maintain my stance here, because this list is
what ties our whole group together...without it, where would we be?  And how
can something as important as that not be handled by someone who's *active*
in our group?  Is he/she even a 'member'?  (I use that term very loosely
here - I've yet to come to a meeting, but I do try to take an active part in
this list, and contribute to the group when and where I can, and consider
myself to be very much a part of this group - virtually, if not physically.)
When issues such as this arise, action needs to be taken, and we cannot take
that action, because we don't have control over it.

Sorta like if one were to register a domain name and have their ISP host it,
many times, the ISP will register it for them, and put themselves as the
'owner', as well as the admin/billing/technical contacts, and charge their
customer directly for the domain (so as to relieve them of an additional
bill, and have them wonder what it's for).  If anything should happen,
technically, that ISP owns the domain, any changes (host IP, DNS servers, MX
servers, etc...) would all be controlled by that ISP, so any changes would
have to go through them.  Now if this ISP has
particularly poor customer service, and the user needs something changed or
added to this domain, they don't have control over it, and are unable to,
until the ISP gets their 'stuff' together and changes it FOR them.

Same issue here.  I feel that if we had a list manager that *belonged* to
the group, and took an active part in our discussions, we would be able to
resolve issues like this spam deal in a very timely manner, and be able to
put filters in place to strip attachments or scan for viruses, or what have
you whenever we felt the need for it.  Or allow attachments of a certain
file extension through (like *.gz) so *we* could still post attachments -
that are related to our threads.  Anything we needed / wanted to do, we
would have the power to do so.

As it stands now, we don't, and that's a problem.

-Lucas