Firewall, roadrunner, mac question

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Fri Apr 19 16:06:07 CDT 2002

> On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, IanB wrote:
>
> > Here's my question: I am running a linux box (TurboLinux Server 6 on
> > a P-90) as a firewall to connect to roadrunner.  It connects great
> > for my linux and win98 machines.  Recently, my wife just got an
> > apple i-book that she (and me) wants to connect to the net through
> > the firewall.  I have very little experience with macs, but I
> > figured it couldn't be all that hard.  I set up the TCP/IP with the
> > same settings as I would on my other computers. Problem is, it
> > connects but it is v-e-r-y slow.  Too slow for my patience to
> > handle.  Does anyone have experience with a similar situation?

Now mind you, this is wrt Max OSX, but there is a link on /. today about
browsing being quite slow.  Perhaps related, perhaps not...  Have a
look:
http://slashdot.org/apple/02/04/19/1243248.shtml?tid=179

Dustin

--
"Youth -- not a time of life but a state of mind... a predominance of
courage over timidity, of the appetite for adventure over the love of