LILO Be Gone!

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Tue Apr 16 17:40:11 CDT 2002

> I'd like to change something (I don't know what) so that the machine
default boots to windows. Anyone know how I can do this?

Set your windows partition to "active", and use a dos/windows based
command-line fdisk to re-intsall the MBR.

> Step Two
>
> Someday, I'll probably want to remove Linux from the machine entirely. If
I boot to DOS with a boot floppy and format the disk, will that destroy the
Linux partitions, too? So, if I install Windows I will get all of the disk
back?

If there's one thing a windows install will do without fail, it's remove any
installed linux partitions.  Just do a windows install and let windows
configure your hard disk...you'll instantly have a single huge windows
partition.  If you want to get your space back sooner, you can re-format the
previous linux partition and use it as drive D: or something, or use
Partition Magic to remove the linux partition and "grow" your existing
windows partition to the whole drive...

Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net