AOTC and GeekPAC now: Off topic response

Aaron aaron at aarons.net
Sun Apr 14 15:47:20 CDT 2002

> Uhhhh....geeez.....that was totally uncalled for.  I didn't rip you or
your
> paper,

Um.  Not my paper.  I haven't even read the paper.

>and I am not now, nor have I been in the recent past, a whiny baby.

Then what's this?

> Monty had a point, you really should have caught those simple mistakes.

I didn't write the paper.  I didn't even read the paper.  I don't give a
flying f**k about the paper.

> believe Monty unloaded on you with both barrells because this is something
> he feels strongly about.  I've noticed the continual degradation of the
> written and spoken word over the last decade with more than an inkling of
> trepidation myself.  In conjunction with my above statement, I'd like to
add
> that the Linux community will forever be hard pressed to be taken
seriously
> if some of our brightest carbon-based bipedal units, while quite possibly
> being exemplary silicon wizards, still read, write and speak at an eighth
> grade level.
>
> I noticed you said you had several proof readers check your paper.
> Uhhhh....personnally bubba, I'd find myself another set of proof readers.

NOT MY PAPER!!!

> The next time you have one of these papers, ship it off to me, I'll proof
> read it.  If I have any reservations or possible concerns regarding  a
> text-based anomaly, I'll ship of to my Mom, she's a published author and
> editor.

(*Grabs baseball bat*)  NOT *whacks monitor* MY *whacks again* PAPER!!!
*Keeps whacking monitor*

> Aaron, I understand your aggravation, <<SNIP>>

Obviously not.  An e-mail went through the group with a link to this paper
and the suggestion we sign on.  The suggestion was deemed not to be a good
idea since we're not that kind of group.  That should have been the end of
the thread.  Instead I get 50 e-mails about spelling and grammar.  Who
cares?!  The subject was closed.  Then we go into the word predatory. It was
spelled wrong and it was admitted that it was spelled wrong.  But people
(Monty) just couldn't let it go.  That's when I went nuts.

I completely agree with you that grammar and spelling is horrible in America
today.  I have a three year old that is always spouting "aint got no" this
or that.  It infuriates me.  Where does she get it?  Daycare.  But what am I
going to do about it?  It's hard to find people who will work for 8-10
dollars an hour at a daycare that can speak.

Back to my point.  The question was asked:  "Should we sign on to this?"
The answer was: "No."  The end.  Back to the Linux stuff.

Aaron