Server certificates

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Apr 9 15:24:22 CDT 2002

> Getting one for cheap isn't the problem.  It's getting one for cheap
> from a certificate authority who's in the trust store of the
> application
> you want to use.  i.e. I can become a certificate authority
> myself and
> give you one for free, but browsers would bitch-slap you on the
Yes, but I don't mind that, as long as I can make them import the root
cert.

> handshake.  What sort of an application are you designing?
I just want to create secure services on my web server for people I give
accounts/
virtual domains to.

I am also hosting, a non-profit site and would like to add others, but
I'm not about
to fork out $300-$3000 a year for a stupid 128bit 1024 character
encrypted key.
That a ____ sham and joke!

I figured since this was a Free (as in speech) oriented system, there
might be some
group not trying to squeeze the world for hard-won cash for something
that is so
basic to the future of the internet. I foresee a future where server
certs are a
prerequisite for websites.

It looks as though other countries [or at least Germany] are making it a
national
government controlled issue.

Brian