Further adventures in Firewall upgrades

DCT Jared Smith jared at dctkc.com
Mon Apr 8 16:11:22 CDT 2002

<rant>
Actually, "further frustrations to follow" is going to frustrate
me, if you post it. Go ahead and post, but can I recommend
that we conserve bandwidth dedicated to complaining, and
use it to make things better? All you're doing is boasting about
how cool you are for remembering the days when Linux could
fit on a floppy disk. Well I'm bored, because this is no way to make
Linux better. I'm not a kernel hacker so I can't do much about
the problems you're pointing out, but I can wish you'd write
about solutions instead of problems. Grump grump grump. I'm
sick and tired of people who are sick and tired. I'm personally
disgusted by the willingness of even oldtime Linux advocates to
turn and rend their own, as if Linux has 'sold out' when only they
actually have. Remember when you used to see these same
problems, and put the 90+ hours into learning how .conf files
worked, and never complain a minute because you were learning?
Well all you're saying below is that you've grown weary of
learning.  For heaven's sake, I walk uphill both ways in the
snow, too. If we've got work to do in Linux, it's fdisking this
whole layer of people who think they're gurus, when all they
do is sit around and grump. Grump. Grump. True gurus enjoy
what they do.

This is the downside of building an OS which is Anti-Microsoft.

What a lame foundation to justify an OS. If you hate Microsoft,
as nearly every Linux user I've ever met does, then all you do
is turn and rend your own project as soon as Microsoft is beaten,
because you have no way to slow the momentum of criticizing,
criticizing, criticizing. When, oh, when, will Linux advocates
advocate by our strengths, rather than by M$ weaknesses?

In other words, "are you getting paid by M$ to spam the LUG
list with complaints about Linux?" Now I know you're not, but,
jeez, you might as well be.

</rant>

-Jared