Further adventures in Firewall upgrades

Jeff Claunch jclaunch at nccsun2.ncc.ag.gov
Mon Apr 8 15:46:27 CDT 2002

Solaris Live Upgrade is AWESOME.  It's one of the best upgrade applications
I've ever used.  You can go from Solaris 2.6 to 8 with no issues whatsoever.
Even with Veritas installed!!!

Like Jon said it basically allows you to install the Solaris OS to a 2nd
disk and then it merges the old stuff with the new stuff and reconfigures
the system.  While still letting you fall back to your original OS just in
case the new upgraded version is hosed up.  You can also do the upgrade onto
the same disk as the original OS, but who wants to risk that when disk space
is so cheap?

We've done some upgrades to our RH7.1 boxes to RH7.2 hear, and have had no
major issues.  I didn't actually do the upgrade, but I must say I'm
surprised you are having so many problems.

Jeff Claunch
Unix Systems Administrator
USDA/NITC Kansas City