logging errors [ was: logrotate problem resolved]

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Apr 2 17:50:49 CST 2002

> From: Eric Rossiter
>
> Brian Densmore wrote:
> >  The nmap correctly
> > generated logs of
> > the portscan, but my problem is it is also echoing udp
> errors to tty.
> >
> > puzzled,
> > Brian
> >

> Hi Brian,
>
> Could you send me a copy of the udp errors being thrown by
> nmap.  ...
Someday I will learn how to use English! I should be more careful in my
choice of words.

Let me restate my problem. My -=firewall=- is  logging unauthorized
attempts to access services/ports, and in addition to putting the entry
in the log file, it is also echoing
that record to the screen. The messages echoed to the screen are being
created by iptables.
I know this because they have my log-prefix string attached. The
question is how do I tell iptables/syslogd/klogd/kernel to not echo udp
messages to the screen?

My rules state
iptables -A INPUT --blahblah -j LOG --log-prefix "FWALL: INPUT "
iptables -A OUTPUT --blahblah -j LOG --log-prefix "FWALL: OUTPUT "
iptables -A INPUT --blahblah -j DROP