static IP options

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Tue Apr 2 14:39:44 CST 2002

At 08:30 AM 4/2/02 -0600, Marvin Bellamy wrote:
>Now, to get a static IP and run
>servers you're getting butt-raped.  I had DSL and the same thing started
>to happen.   The service went to hell and then the prices started to
>skyrocket.

Yep -- it goes to thinking with a business model again.  Cell phones are
getting dangerously close to having major problems because of custoemr
churn and high customer acquisition fees.  I suspect something similar is
happening with broadband providers.  You and I know that we won't try to
bring the network to it's knees . .  but just picture even 5 people in a
neighborhood on a cable modem connection hosting some sites that would make
the RIAA people cringe.

Why not just have a site hosted elsewhere?  I have dedicated servers that
are only $300/month from my provider.  That leaves my DSL line open for
what it needs to be doing.  I was just reading the other day on pricing and
other info and as we can see  . . . the free ride might be over for
$$cheap$$ high-speed bandwidth.

-- Bradley Miller