tcp port [ ssh | ftp | http | telnet ] unreachable [toc 0xc0]

Ohrberg, Mick Mick.Ohrberg at umb.com
Fri Sep 28 11:51:40 CDT 2001

Hi all!

I just had a freakish thing happen. I had some IDE errors on a disk that
ended up rendering my RH7.1 unbootable (execvp: file too large during the
fsck during boot...). I made a minimal installation where I kept all the
file systems the same. I used to run an apache 1.3.x on that box, as well as
a sshd, wu_ftpd etc. However, now when I try to connect using any of these
protocols, a tcpdump -p -i eth0 shows the messages from the Subject: line.

Using lynx, I can look at http://localhost/, and I can also SSH to
localhost, ftp to localhost, and everything works fine. However, from
outside my rt314 router, OR inside, it just won't connect (in short, I can't
reach my webserver from any other hosts). Pings work just fine - I can ping
any box (webserver from Windoze box, or Winblows box from webserver).

The web server has a static IP while my windows machines all are DHCP.

Any ideas what the message means? Is there a problem with translating ssh to
22, ftp to 21, http to 80 and telnet to 23?

Thankee-sai!

Regards,

--
Mick Öhrberg