spam revisited

Jim Herrmann b3d at kc.rr.com
Sat Sep 22 04:55:09 CDT 2001

Why can't a list member simply signup from all e-mail addresses from
which they wish to post, and set option nomail for addresses they wish
not to receive.  I have to do this to get signed up on a closed list
using my alias of jim at itdepends, which is really b3d at kc.rr.com, so that
I can post, but still receive at my alias.

However, I'm not sure the original post was talking about spam from this
list.  I think they were talking about spam in general, from other
sources.  One of the things that I do, since I have my own domain, is
that I give bogus users, with my domain, which goes to the catch all
account that I check periodically.  Unfortunately, I didn't think of
this soon enough, and now "Jim" is all over the place.  Hindsight is 20-20.

There are also services, or lists, that you can sign up for that
"legitimate" bulk mailers are supposed to check before sending out any
e-mails.  That has worked pretty well for me.  I don't remember the
address, and it is late, and this post has gone on too long, so if you
want me to do the leg work to look up that URL for you, you will have to
wait.  There's always Google.

Peace on earth,
Jim Herrmann