Linux Help for local Library

Bob Batson rcb at kc.rr.com
Sat Sep 1 01:12:03 CDT 2001

At 3:24 PM -0500 8/31/01, Franklin, Joel wrote:

>How are they using NT4 on a mainframe?
>
>What kinds of applications are they running now and what do they want to
>run?

According to the Netcraft Web Site finder <http://www.netcraft.com/>,
they (Mid-Continent Public Library) are  running
Netscape-Enterprise/3.6 SP3 on NT4/Windows 98 as the OS on their
website at http://www.mcpl.lib.mo.us/ They are also using INLEX/3000
for the Library Management System (card-catalog)

A branch librarian was the person who mentioned they were using a
Mainframe computer at their headquarters location, but I've since
learned she was wrong. I'll get more details after the holiday and
also inquire if it would  be alright if you contacted (by E-mail) the
person who's in charge of the project.

In fact today I received the following note:

"We are currently a combination of Windows NT on servers and 98 on
most branch PC's

I don't seriously we will consider using Linux.  The operating system
will be entirely dependent upon the automation that we get.  Most
support either NT or Unix.  There are none that I know of that
support Linux."

--

Bob Batson                            L 39 12 14 N 94 33 16 W
rcb at kc.rr.com                         Kansas City