Flawed Logic [WAS: Secure Linux install ]

Gene Dascher gedascher at multiservice.com
Wed Oct 31 17:18:27 CST 2001

>Well, your analogy is flawed. If people are hacking into you system, it
>is more like did you leave your front door open with a list of
>valuables, and where they are, sitting on the entry way table.

Now your logic is flawed.  Even if you only have a flimsy doorknob lock on
your house, it is just as much breaking and entering as if you have a
state-of-the-art security system.  If you didn't invite John Q. Public into
your house, he can't legally be in there, and you can have him arrested for
trespassing.

I don't know what definition of an "open invitation" will hold up in court,
but if you have to circumvent obvious security measures (however weak they
are), you are doing something illegal.  Period.

Should crackers be congratulated and rewarded for breaking into poorly
guarded systems?  Should companies have no recourse against someone who
maliciously damages their networks?  Rubbish!

>Although, it is still not right. I would be very pissed if someone broke
>into my house , or my internet server.

So would you just stop there if someone broke into your house, or would you
go to the police and have the person brought to justice?

Gene