Secure Linux install?

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Wed Oct 31 17:07:14 CST 2001

At 10:43 AM 10/31/01 -0600, Brian Densmore wrote:
If people are hacking into you system, it
>is more like did you leave your front door open with a list of
>valuables, and where they are, sitting on the entry way table.
>Sorry Brad, but I agree with the statements made here.

Ahem -- but yes, there still is a point to be made here.  These people are
going up and down the street . . . "oh this house has a Masterlock
deadbolt, this one has a Kwickset deadbolt, this one a blah blah".  When I
installed my software I didn't expect have to come along and play "let's
plug the dike".  If I wanted that I'd install a Windows machine.  In
reading the OpenBSD site, it does look more secure than Red Hat . . . Red
Hat looks about like Windows as far as security is concerned.  What you are
saying is I didn't follow precautions -- yes and no.  I went with Linux
because I didn't want my server down all the freakin' time, but I didn't
think I was going to have to reinstall most of the stuff just to lock it up
tight.  What a joke?   How can you advocate using something that someone
will have to re-learn just to re-install all the boffed files with security
holes?????

-- Bradley Miller