Theoretical Samba File Server

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Sun Oct 28 15:11:50 CST 2001

If you're concerned about the network being a bottleneck, why not use Fast
EtherChannel or gigabit ethernet?  Fast EtherChannel lets you bond up to
four 100 Mbps ethernet connections.  Its configuration is described in
Documentation/networking/bonding.txt in your kernel source tree.  GigE
cards can be had for less than $200 these days (copper and fiber).

What sort of switches were you going to buy?  Most "real" switches have
enough backplane bandwidth to support several gigabits/sec worth of
concurrent connections, so buying a dedicated switch for each connection
might be overkill.  By "real" switch I mean ones that are
manageable/configurable and whose manufacturers actually publish things
like backplane speeds.