Powerline 4 Megabit/s

mrkshrt at transparentsolutions.com mrkshrt at transparentsolutions.com
Wed Oct 24 04:08:05 CDT 2001

My only knowledge about this is old, so I may not remember it correctly.
A EE buddy of mine back in the 80's was working on a project for a Florida
power company.
I think he worked for Emerson Electric in St. Louis at the time.
The concept was to do remote meter reading and use power lines as the
transport mechanism.
Sounds like a no brainer, right.
If I remember correctly it was a tremendously difficult problem to even get
a data rate of 20 bits per second or so.
The transformers were a huge problem.
I think you may need to bypass them for data, so that means a huge amount of
new equipment.
The "network" has a lot of noise.
My guess is it would be way cheaper, easier and more probable that fixed
wireless is the solution.
Especially to less dense areas with older infrastructure.
I seem to remember that the frequency was a problem as well.

Actually I have recently caught up with him and could ask him his thoughts
if there is interest.
But I agree that it is probably snake oil.

If it was easy to do we would all have broadband to our house today.

Also, remember at the end of the day this stuff has to generate more revenue
than it costs, or you end up with ION all over your face.
No matter how cool it is.

Mark