ISPs

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Mon Oct 22 16:09:44 CDT 2001

>From a couple of replies:

"planet kc is linux friendly and runs about 10-15 month for dial-up."

"We have training in a number of technologies, Including Linux."

This worries me - I'm looking for people who support TCP/IP over dial-up
PPP, not Linux.  There should be nothing at their end that cares one whit
whether I'm running Windows or Linux or Sega or a System 3090 on this end.

I _think_ what they're trying to say is that their Customer Support techs
won't hang up on you if you say the "L" word, and/or that they don't require
a proprietary pre-packaged dialer/browser for access - which is good.  But
for proprietary interfaces, AOL is the hands-down winner, and I can handle
the tech support myself as long as the ISP keeps the servers up.

I guess the things I'm looking for are reliable connections and reasonable
price.  Reliable email would be nice, especially if they had good spam
filtering, but most of the people I know have learned to keep their primary
email and their ISP separate.  It would be nice if I could get timely and
honest answers when the gateway routers crash, but that's dreamin'.

Thanks for the advice so far.  I'll let y'all know how the search comes out.