Cue Cat article : The Dumbest Invention in the History of Computers

Tony Hammitt tony at speedscript.com
Thu Oct 18 16:08:01 CDT 2001

Nifty article, I agree, but where was the mention of them suing the pants
off of anyone whom they considered a competitor?  What about all of the
bullshit about making websites take down any decoder software?

This is where they really lost a lot of money.  They spent millions on
legal fees, only to piss people off enough to go out of their way to
collect as many of the idiotic gizmos as they could.  At last count, how
many of the glow-in-the-dark dildos did we collect last year?  I think
Randy had about 25.  It's not a good idea to piss a bunch of people off
who can voluntarily cost your company $3 every time they drive past a
RatShak.

<rantmode>

Oh well, so their business failed, big freakin' surprise.  The only real
problem with the stupid idea related dotcoms is that they defrauded a
bunch of small time investors.  Someone should really set up an incredibly
huge class-action lawsuit against every venture capitalist whose only
business plan was to go public then drive the company into bankruptcy.
You should have to show a consistent profit in order to have an IPO.
Investors with brains will know this, now at least.

Anyway, I guess I'm just pissed that we've legalized fraud with the VC
firms.  We shouldn't make it possible to have a business of running
other businesses into the ground as soon as you can get other people's
money in hand.  What the VCs did in the dotcom era is fraud and it's
morally wrong.  They ought to be ashamed, but they're not.  It's too
bad that we don't allow the citizens to tar and feather con artists
anymore.  There's a whole group that deserves that and much worse.

</rantmode>

Hope everyone has a nice day.

	Tony