Mandrake vs. RedHat

zscoundrel zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Mon Oct 8 04:31:25 CDT 2001

You are probably correct, it was a couple of years ago.  I don't want to
get a distro flame war going.  I have heard some good things about
Mandrake.  I just figured that since they were mostly RH compatible, I
would stick to Red Hat.  (I like the Red Fedora Logo too!)    Also, I
was way too 'newby' then to attempt a recompile at that point - and no
'Elmer' handy to help me throught the tough spots.  Besides, it would
have taken hours on that silly 486dx66 with 40mb RAM and my wife was not
about to let me get "that" software near her 'doze machine!  (grin)

I just felt so used that I decided they didn't really need my business
and went back to Red Hat.  I did attempt to load a SuSe distro one time
that came free with something or other, but it was an older version of
the kernal and just different enough to give me that 'fish-out-of-water'
feeling occasionally so I loaded RH over it again the next time a kernal
upgrade was released.

Perhaps I can talk my boss into a severance package so I can take a few
weeks to play with several distros and get good enough to make a career
change.  The place I work keeps talking about putting Linux on the
monster IBM main-frame, but each time they do, I don't find out about it
until they de-active the region for some other project.  Think the
systems guys are afraid to be one-upped if we decide to move some
production apps to Linux.

--
At 20, I was liberal, because I had nothing to lose and so much to gain.
by 40, I was conservative, because I had so much to lose and so little to gain.