New Linux Machines

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Sun Oct 7 15:51:02 CDT 2001

On Sat, 2001-10-06 at 16:44, Robert Kennedy wrote:

> I'm thinking of going from my current Red Hat 7 to the
> new Suse. I need to know what might happen if I do.
> How would my individual users spaces change, for
> instance. Would a lot of reconfig be need

Suse and the RedHat distributions differ slightly in file structure and
configuration scheme - parts of the configuration are handled and stored
differently.  Suse doesn't,. as far as I know, use any package
management scheme, but assumes everything will be built/compiled for
installation.

I would think you'd want to at least install it to a separate partition,
if not a separate machine, rather than try to convert a working RedHat
installation to Suse directly.