Mandrake 8.1

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Sat Oct 6 18:53:53 CDT 2001

On Sat, 2001-10-06 at 10:17, Bradley Miller wrote:

> I've just recently fielded calls from people on Win boxes that didn't
> understand the concepts of files/folders.

A think that as technically competent people, we have a responsibility
to destroy the myth that you can be completely ignorant and still run
your own computer, and not to enable people like that by giving them
piecemeal help.  Refer 'em to a good class or something.  (I'll bet this
group could come up with a good list of places that hold decent "Basic
Computer Use" classes - how about it?)

I'm not sure just where people get this these days.  Is it from being
well supported at work, where everything they do with their PC is
dictated, and where they absolutely discount the value of the guy who
comes to fix things when their flag screen saver nukes the accounting
database?  Probably.