New Linux Machines

Jim Herrmann b3d at kc.rr.com
Sat Oct 6 04:36:12 CDT 2001

I have a friend that has an opportunity to get a new computer, who has
no windows experience.  Therefore, since there is no "re"learning curve,
I thought I would try to steer them to Linux.  They are open to the idea
of Linux, being opposed to large monopolistic entities in general.  So
here's what I am hoping to get from you guys.  I want to know who are
the local businesses in town that will pre-configure, say a Mandrake 8.1
Linux box, and support it (the hardware at least).  These people live
out near Lee's Summit, so a business in that general area would probably
be best, but not necessary.  These people want a whole new system,
Printer, monitor, CD-RW, etc. and they want it to be easy to use (which
is why I say Mandrake) and no problems (which is why I want a
preinstalled system).  Doesn't need to be top of the line, but rather
merely adequate for the future, and very reliable.

So, I hope that gives a pretty good idea of what I'm looking for.
Please discuss this on the list, as there are probably others on the
list that would like to hear this discussion.

Peace,
Jim Herrmann