Sound Problem with CM8738

David Rush ky0dr at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 5 18:53:32 CDT 2001

Hi. I've been running RH 6.2 for quite a while on my 450 MHz P-III with
64 MB, but I've never had sound working acceptably.  I've got an Intel
i810-based all-in-one motherboard.
(Minor update: picked up 256 MB of RAM at lunch today for $32 at
MicroCenter - woo-hoo!)

Sound works fine when I boot the evil W98.

dmesg says:
cm: version v1.1 time 21:09:15 Mar 7 2000
cm: found CM8738 adapter at io 0xcc00 irq 3

I searched my motherboard with a flashlight and did, indeed, find a chip
with "CM8738" printed on it, so I believe the detection is accurate.

When I run sndconfig, it detects a CM8738, but when it plays the test
file, it comes out very distorted. I can tell that there's a voice in
the test file, but I can't quite understand most of what it's saying.

When I do cat /usr/share/sounds/phone.wav >/dev/dsp I get garbage out of
my speakers that really annoys my wife. When I play with aumix, either
"Vol" or "Pcm" can be used to make the garbage quieter or louder, but
it's still garbage.

I've even done the work to install the ALSA sound drivers (latest "stable"
version as of last weekend), and I get the similar  results.

Any ideas?

David