Network card problems (was Re: Distributions (Debian))

Mike Coleman mkc at mathdogs.com
Sat Mar 31 17:40:11 CST 2001

"Matthew Austin" <maustin5 at kc.rr.com> writes:
> Debian 2.2.18pre21, i386 System board: Gigabyte GA-7IX
>
> I have a Linksys (LNE100TX) card, which is a PCI card.  It should use tulip.o,
> but when I try to install this module I get a "device or resource busy error".
> Looking at proc/pci, I see the card is detected but it never gets configured
> as eth0.  When searching the archives of linux.debian.user, I have found
> several ideas that either didn't work or I don't understand.

That error message would usually indicate that the module's init routine
failed.  Looking at the driver source, that would seem to mean that the probe
routine didn't like it for some reason or another.

Are there any other error messages, maybe in one of the logs?  You could try
adding some debugging printk's into those routines to see exactly how and
where it's failing.

--Mike

Mike Coleman, mkc at mathdogs.com
  http://www.mathdogs.com -- problem solving, expert software development