Network card problems (was Re: Distributions (Debian))

Matthew Austin maustin5 at kc.rr.com
Sat Mar 31 15:39:11 CST 2001

Debian 2.2.18pre21, i386
System board:  Gigabyte GA-7IX

I have a Linksys (LNE100TX) card, which is a PCI card.  It should use tulip.o, but when I try to
install this module I get a "device or resource busy error".  Looking at proc/pci, I see the card
is detected but it never gets configured as eth0.  When searching the archives of
linux.debian.user, I have found several ideas that either didn't work or I don't understand.

The card came with source code for the drivers,  tulip.c and pciscan.c, along with other necessary
files.  I haved tried use these, but I think I have to edit the makefile that comes with the
drivers because it is looking for some .h files that it cannot find.

I saw one note that said you could move tulip.c and pciscan.c into the directory where the network
modules are located and recompile the kernel using the newly created tulip.o and pci-scan.o.  I
haven't tried this yet.

--Matt