Accounting packages

Jonathan hutchins at opus1.com
Sat Mar 31 00:59:15 CST 2001

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Bradley Miller [mailto:bradmiller at dslonramp.com]

> Does $10K for a Compaq sound right?

Compaq has a wide range of hardware - I could easily come up with a $10K
server from them even sticking with "standard PC" hardware.

> What about $20-25K for an accounting package?

A good accounting package WITH support could certainly run that much.
WinTel packages such as Great Plains can be bought for a few thou, but
running them without support just doesn't work.  For most accounting
packages you don't call Tech Support, you hire a consultant.

> We need shipping, accounting, billing, etc...  and web
> reporting would be great.

You're going to be putting some real money into this however you go, but it
wouldn't be a bad idea to check out some other offers.  Check the hardware
specs against Compaq's web site to see if they're really gouging you, and
look into Great Plains and some of the other companies.  You'll either need
consulting staff time or to hire or train one or more people heavily in the
package (possibly both).