Accounting packages

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Fri Mar 30 20:53:49 CST 2001

> We're looking for a new accounting system for our main
> company.  Right now
> they're using TechGAP software.  Unfortunately the SCO Unix
> box is dieing a
> slow, painful death (P166 new in 1996) and the vendor is
> wanting to rake us
> over the coals.  Does $10K for a Compaq sound right?   What
> about $20-25K
> for an accounting package?
>
> We're interested in any *nix systems that are fairly
> industrial strength.
> We need shipping, accounting, billing, etc...  and web
> reporting would be
> great.

Believe or not Linux can be fairly industrial strength. LA is using to
monitor and track the rail transit system and are currently porting the
control system to Linux. There are several commercial accounting and billing
packages for Linux (no I don't mean GNU Cash). Southware Accounting is one
that comes to mind. Of course it is priced like any standard *nix software
is priced (expensive).