DSL Speed/Limits?

Glenn Crocker glenn at netmud.com
Wed Mar 14 14:37:51 CST 2001

393048 bps???  Luxury!  Why, in MY day, we paid per-minute charges to use
two tin cans and a string to yell bits to one another:  "ONE!"  "WHAT?"
"ONE!"  "ACK!"  "ZERO!" .....

Seriously, check out http://www.dslreports.com/, especially
http://www.dslreports.com/distance

Also note that your geographic distance to the CO is as-the-crow-flies, and
the cable might be twice that long if you're unlucky and the wire takes a
bad path.

I've had TCI @Home in California and TW RoadRunner out here, and both are
wonderful.  The best thing about them is that the phone company isn't
involved, so they won't screw up your wiring.  (I get 2mbit down / 384 up or
thereabouts.)  Sprint also has a _wonderful_ wireless product that's
available in the SF Bay area, but isn't available here yet, which is DSL
fast, DSL cheap, installs quickly (no waiting for SW Bell), and all that
good stuff.  http://www.sprintbroadband.com/  Drool, drool.

-glenn