Local sources

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Mar 13 15:55:43 CST 2001

> MicroCenter is a brick and mortar computer store at 95th and
> Metcalf.  They're OK.
>
> Not as cheap as ordering online but cheap enough to forego
> shipping delays for some
> things.  Not quite Fry's but not as bad as BestBuy.  Decent selection.

Not sure if this is appropriate, but it would be kind of cool to add some
content to KCLUG's site with locations/websites of stores in the area that
have cool stuff at the right price.

I realize this might be considered free advertising for these places and
maybe something like preferential treatment. But, it's also a public
service, helping people find good places to buy things at reasonable prices.
There could even be like a review and rate section. Might generate some
traffic on the site as it becomes known. Possibly even some interest in the
LUG.
I don't get out much and when I search the internet for things I rarely find
local sources for parts.
Recent example: I couldn't find a local source for a dongle for my IBM
PCMCIA NIC in my immediate search area (Northern Metro area). I wound up
ordering one online from a place in Texas (real cheap), and got socked with
$9 shipping charge (Ouch!) - almost as much as the part [but still cheaper
than anyone else!].

Downside, some people would find it harder to find parts from their favorite
secret sources. ;')>

[insert shameless plug]
BTW, they have great customer service, kind of ugly site, with fast
connections:
http://www.mycomputersupplies.com/

Best Regards,
Brian