Serial modem connection on RedHat 6.2

Don Erickson derick at shark.zeni.net
Fri Mar 9 02:57:38 CST 2001

In article <3AA6D417.3164BAEF at swbell.net> you write:
>I need to be able to login to my Linux box remotely by an attached
>modem.  Rather than establish a PPP connection into the Linux box, I
>would just like a serial (non-PPP) connection that prompts me for my
>login and drops me to a Linux bash command line prompt.
>
>After making this connection, I could then rz/sz files to/from the other
>Unix box I'm calling from to the Linux box.  I've tried searching the
>HOW-to's - but I'm not finding the right answers.
>
>Anyone know how to do this?

I've done this before, I think if you simply run a getty of some kind on
your modem serial line then it should work.  Set up /etc/inittab to run
mgetty or somesuch to answer the phone, and you should get your login
prompt.

I think mgetty is set up these days to use pppd by default,
/etc/mgetty/login.config is where you would disable this.

Regards,

-Don
--
 .sig lite