DNS in Overland Park Roadrunner

Mike Coleman mkc at mathdogs.com
Sun Jun 10 21:42:20 CDT 2001

Eric Weide <eyd at kscable.com> writes:
> I'm not sure what the difference is, but I'm sure I've read that internet
> connection sharing on windows 98/ME only works with 95/98/ME clients.
>
> On Saturday 09 June 2001 12:40, steve cartwright wrote:
> > I am currently connected to RoadRunner via a Windows 98 machine,
> > via the USB port on the PC. I have connected this machine via
> > a null modem ethernet cable to a linux machine.
> >
> > I have enabled Internet Connection Sharing in the Windows 98 machine.
> > The Linux machine used to be a windows 95 machine, and I succesfully
> > was able to share the rr connection. However I haven't been able
> > to share the internet onto my linux (Redhat 6) environment.

I assume a "null modem ethernet cable" is really a crossover twisted pair
cable.

I wouldn't be surprised if Eric wasn't right.  Making things gratuitously
incompatible is about par for the course for Microsoft.

You can try diagnosing things with ping.  You should be able to ping your
Windows box from your Linux box and vice versa.  Can you ping any known
Internet IP address from your Linux box?

Also, maybe ICS is actually a web proxy rather than NAT?

Mike Coleman, mkc at mathdogs.com
  http://www.mathdogs.com -- problem solving, expert software development