Linux Project (RE: Linux vs. Windows and why win is winning!)

Monty Harder lists at kc.rr.com
Sun Jul 29 21:20:28 CDT 2001

7/29/01 1:04:54 AM, Edgar Allen <era at sky.net> wrote:

>My Redhat 7.0 has 3140 commands available at the command line.
>
>If each pulldown has 5, 6, or 7 elements then the menues must go
>to file levels.  If you want some things to end before the fifth level
>then those will be in addition to the cascading entries.

I think you can get by with more than 7 elements per pulldown.  I just want to avoid what most Win
users see in
Start|Programs, which is every single software publisher's name, in addition to the categories of
MS stuff.  I've seen so many
items that they take up multiple columns.

>Those are just the commands.  Are you intending to cover options as well ?

  Good question.  I can see a lot of commands coming up to a dialog box that lets you set the
options before executing.

>Are you planning to reduce the number of commands ?  Which ones ?

  No, but the ones that are rarely used would be buried deeper in the menus.

>Who decides ?

  Whoever writes it.  And each user can reconfigure to his tastes, once he understands how this
works (at which point he
really doesn't need hand-holding....)