Printing issue

Bill Talley wtalley at kc.rr.com
Mon Jul 23 23:19:07 CDT 2001

I'm somewhat of a Linux newbie so I don't know much it.  I appreciate any
advice anyone is willing to provide.  I'm in the process of reading a couple
of books on Linux, have researched this and many other problems on the web,
and have worked with both production and test systems trying to absorb as
much about Linux as I can.

A company I work with recently purchased a Dell system with Redhat 7.0
(kernel 2.2.17 enterprise) preinstalled.  Everything works fine with the
exception of sporadic printing problems.

I configured three of their printers as network printers and configured
Linux to queue to each via IP to each specific port on a Jet Direct
card(ports 9100, 9101, and 9102).  Most printing works fine, but one of
their applications contains a module that won't transmit any print jobs to
the queue.  They just vanish.

The application vendor claims it's an issue with permissions set on each
queue, even though the users can print fine from the command line, other
applications, or even other modules within the same application.  The LPD
directory is set at rwxr-xr-x.  Each queue has the permissions of rwx------.
Whenever I try to change the permissions, the system resets the permissions
to their original setting when I restart LPD.

My questions are:

1.  Does this sound like a permissions issue?
2.  How do I change the permissions on the queue directory and not have them
reset when I restart LPD?

Here's the /etc/printcap file.

##PRINTTOOL3## DIRECT ljet4 600x600 letter {} LaserJet4 Default 1
Printer:        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/Printer:        :mx#0:        :sh:
:if=/var/spool/lpd/Printer/filter:        :af=/var/spool/lpd/Printer/acct:        :lp=/dev/null:
##PRINTTOOL3## DIRECT ljet4 600x600 letter {} LaserJet4 Default {}
Printer1:        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/Printer1:        :mx#0:        :sh:
:if=/var/spool/lpd/Printer1/filter:        :af=/var/spool/lpd/Printer1/acct:        :lp=/dev/null:
##PRINTTOOL3## DIRECT cdj550 300x300 letter {} DeskJet550 3 1
Printer2:        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/Printer2:        :mx#0:        :sh:
:if=/var/spool/lpd/Printer2/filter:        :af=/var/spool/lpd/Printer2/acct:        :lp=/dev/null:
##PRINTTOOL3## DIRECT ljet4 600x600 letter {} LaserJet4 Default 1
Printer3:        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/Printer3:        :mx#0:        :sh:
:if=/var/spool/lpd/Printer3/filter:        :af=/var/spool/lpd/Printer3/acct:        :lp=/dev/null:

Thanks again for any assistance,
Bill