Linux vs Windows and why win is winning!

John Heryer jheryer at violet.jayhawks.net
Sat Jul 21 17:22:23 CDT 2001

> you just need the info to be closer at hand. I agree with the menu
>improvement idea.
> they just want to know how to do a few specific things for now and learn
>about the cool stuff later.
>Thats where the linux documentation goes way overboard. If anyone has
>ever noticed, Windows comes with a searchable help
> database and a program to read it and all other help file!
> s. This program doesn't give you alot of in depth info right off the bat unless
>you dig for it, it just shows you how to get the task at hand done, thats
>it. And as bad as this may sound thats what Linux needs for its
documentation and the
>interface for Linux needs to be just as cut and dry. It needs to be
>obvious what each thing does, not having to read through 3 paragraphs of
text just to find out.
> Thats where the problem lies, in my busy life I would be lucky to read a
page of documentation.

I couldn't agree with you more. Easily accessable beginner information
should be improved, and maybe not as clearly as I would have liked, that
is the point that I have been trying to get across this entire thread.
Though In My Own Humble Opinion, I feel that improving the distrobution of
of information to new users would be more benificial than dumbing down
the GUI.

As Brian stated in a previous post:
"Yes! Exactly, what we need is a utility that a user can choose (perhaps
atinstall, or from the desktop), where they can say "Windozize me" and make
that the default"

After I read this, I decided to get involved by enlightening the list,
that I did not feel that this was a good solution to getting new users
to use Linux. The information is the solution, and getting it to them is
the problem.

--
John Heryer
jheryer at jayhawks.net

"It is easy to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to
live after your own; but the great man is he, in the midst of the crowd,
keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude."
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson