Linux vs Windows and why win is winning!

mike neuliep mike at illiana.net
Fri Jul 20 22:09:09 CDT 2001

John Heryer said:

> So what do you all suggest?

        I suggest you just use Windows. I find it very ... ironic that you
are attempting to reproduce the operating system you are trying to get
away from. Personally, I think this "Linux Learning Curve" is nothing more
than a user not properly reading the documentation. Linux its self is not
difficult, we all have been memorizing trivial facts all of our lives.

John, I do think the Linux Learning Curve is real and does exist.  Windows _IS_
easier to do for a lot of common tasks, especially something like dial-up
networking.  It was moderately difficult the first time I set up PPP on my
slackware box.  Many of us Linux users like the OS because it is powerful,
exteremly powerful.  Where a young child can master much of the basic user
parts of Windows, that child probably could not do this with Linux.  Since
windows is simpler, it isn't as flexible and extensible.  Linux on the other
hand can be very complex and the complexity allows for the great flexibility
for whatever the application.  One can think of windows has a hammer -- easy to
use, useful as tool but not very good for all jobs.  Linux is the swiss army
knife or the leatherman's tool, versitile, can be used for many jobs very well
and more difficult to use (in simple terms here).  This makes it a more powerful
tool.  Just my two honest two cents here...

	Mike