Linux vs. Windows and why win is winning!

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Thu Jul 19 13:55:08 CDT 2001

This would be a great group project. I have also been pondering this very
issue.
Is there any project out there right now to do this? Anyone interested on
starting one if there isn't?

> From: Steve Johnson [mailto:sjohnson at commercial-lithographing.com]
> My comment:  Make a setup program actually work without
> 10,000 tweaks (i.e.
> majordomo, tomcat, etc, etc) and you will be home free...

> >    Now to the solution, I recently went on an endeavor with
> a programmer
> friend
> >of mine to make the KDE interface almost identical to windows, like
> changing
> the
> >foot print (start button like) button to say something like
> "Begin" or
> "Linux"
> >but neither of use are skilled enough to even break the
> water on this one.
> What
> >I just mentioned is a good start (ignore the pun), but if we
> can make the
> right
> >clicks work the same way, the buttons and clicks and edges
> and screens more
> >familiar to Windows users, we could start the worlds largest
> conversion
> ever.
> >That includes the Linux tool bar to autohide and all the
> buttons to be
> smoother
> >looking.

> Personnally I love Linux but find to transition to
> be horridly
> >difficult and thats why in a couple of weeks, when I build a
> web server for
> my
> >father it will run Windows 2000 Advanced Server, because
> even though I know
> >little about it, its easy as hell to learn.

If you pull down the apache-toolbox and pick the O'Reilly bok on Apache
setting up an Apache/Linux webserver is very simple and straight forward. It
is a little harder to do multiple virtual sites, but not much. And again a
little harder to do multiple virtual https sites. But I have done it and
would be glad to help you out.

Brian