Linux vs. Windows and why win is winning!

Steve Johnson sjohnson at commercial-lithographing.com
Thu Jul 19 01:45:01 CDT 2001

EGGGZACCTLY!

It is easier for us nerd types to deal with linux than the general public.
found the task quite daunting (still do) and I was only away from unix for a

10 years or so...

My comment:  Make a setup program actually work without 10,000 tweaks (i.e.
majordomo, tomcat, etc, etc) and you will be home free...

sj

>===== Original Message From Patrick Thurmond <SMTP:p_thurmond at yahoo.com>
=====
>Hi, I know I have brought up something like this at a recent meeting and
want
>all to ponder this.
>
>       I have been reading up on Linux and its effect on the market,
whether
it
>be business or home use, it has gained some serious ground. In fact
according
>an article I have recently read from a magazine Linux has gained more
ground
in
>the last 5 years in the business server market than any other OS, including
>Windows, Microsofts flagship product. Its to a point now that Linux is on
fair
>ground against MS, MS no longer has the lead in this market. Thats why they

have
>been stepping up production of OSes and reliability and features within.
>
>      All that is very impressive, but it hasn't made much ground in the
desktop
>and small biz scene. Well I have been talking to alot of people, since I do

tech
>support for Gateway (don't trash them, there alot better now), I get to
talk
>people all over this country and I have been bringing up Linux. Almost
everybody
>has heard of it, including computer illiterate people, so the word is out
there
>and spreading it isn't as important any more. All these people are vastly
>interested in the prospect of Linux, its stability, and all its marvelous
>benefits. But every single one of them have choosen to stick with Windows,
not
>because they think Windows is better, its because its SOO EASY TO USE. Now
>know that many companies are currently striving for a better GUI for Linux,

and
>KDE and GNOME are great. But I find for myself and others that Linux is the
>biggest pain in the ass to learn. I started with Win 3.11 before I started
on
>DOS. The GUI is the ! KEY here people. If I could start of with a GUI that
makes
>switching from WIN to LIN completely painless and almost unnoticeable then
>could easily move to Linux and start learning like crazy. But as it is now
you
>have and ass load of switches and commands to learn, I still haven't quite
>learned how to get SAMBA to work, I tried loading WIN for LIN but failed
>miserably and its all very discouraging. And with as hectic as my life is
now
>have little time to devote to learning Linux, and thats how everyone I talk

>feels about it.
>
>    Now to the solution, I recently went on an endevour with a programmer
friend
>of mine to make the KDE interface almost identical to windows, like
changing
the
>foot print (start button like) button to say something like "Begin" or
"Linux"
>but neither of use are skilled enough to even break the water on this one.
What
>I just mentioned is a good start (ignore the pun), but if we can make the
right
>clicks work the same way, the buttons and clicks and edges and screens more
>familiar to Windows users, we could start the worlds largest conversion
ever.
>That includes the Linux tool bar to autohide and all the buttons to be
smoother
>looking. Personnally I love Linux but find to transition to be horridly
>difficult and thats why in a couple of weeks, when I build a web server for

my
>father it will run Windows 2000 Advanced Server, because even though I know
>little about it, its easy as hell to learn. Well I am done ranting what are

your