Linux vs. Windows and why win is winning!

Patrick Thurmond p_thurmond at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 19 01:23:37 CDT 2001

Hi, I know I have brought up something like this at a recent meeting and want all to ponder this.

I have been reading up on Linux and its effect on the market, whether it be business or home use,
it has gained some serious ground. In fact according to an article I have recently read from a
magazine Linux has gained more ground in the last 5 years in the business server market than any
other OS, including Windows, Microsofts flagship product. Its to a point now that Linux is on fair
ground against MS, MS no longer has the lead in this market. Thats why they have been stepping up
production of OSes and reliability and features within.

All that is very impressive, but it hasn't made much ground in the desktop and small biz scene.
Well I have been talking to alot of people, since I do tech support for Gateway (don't trash them,
there alot better now), I get to talk to people all over this country and I have been bringing up
Linux. Almost everybody has heard of it, including computer illiterate people, so the word is out
there and spreading it isn't as important any more. All these people are vastly interested in the
prospect of Linux, its stability, and all its marvelous benefits. But every single one of them have
choosen to stick with Windows, not because they think Windows is better, its because its SOO EASY
TO USE. Now I know that many companies are currently striving for a better GUI for Linux, and KDE
and GNOME are great. But I find for myself and others that Linux is the biggest pain in the ass to
learn. I started with Win 3.11 before I started on DOS. The GUI is the KEY here people. If I could !
start of with a GUI that makes switching from WIN to LIN completely painless and almost
unnoticeable then I could easily move to Linux and start learning like crazy. But as it is now you
have and ass load of switches and commands to learn, I still haven't quite learned how to get SAMBA
to work, I tried loading WIN for LIN but failed miserably and its all very discouraging. And with
as hectic as my life is now I have little time to devote to learning Linux, and thats how everyone
I talk to feels about it.

Now to the solution, I recently went on an endevour with a programmer friend of mine to make the
KDE interface almost identical to windows, like changing the foot print (start button like) button
to say something like "Begin" or "Linux" but neither of use are skilled enough to even break the
water on this one. What I just mentioned is a good start (ignore the pun), but if we can make the
right clicks work the same way, the buttons and clicks and edges and screens more familiar to
Windows users, we could start the worlds largest conversion ever. That includes the Linux tool bar
to autohide and all the buttons to be smoother looking. Personnally I love Linux but find to
transition to be horridly difficult and thats why in a couple of weeks, when I build a web server
for my father it will run Windows 2000 Advanced Server, because even though I know little about it,
its easy as hell to learn. Well I am done ranting what are your thoughts.

-Patrick