will lack of corporate support kill off Linux?

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Jul 17 17:55:20 CDT 2001

> Heavy Iron's pretty neat stuff, you shouldn't knock it based
> on uninformed
> speculation.
Totally agree. I helped build the first S390. I also was studying to become
a CE before switching to programming. So I know a little about how they
work, but the best hardware isn't always the most popular. Mainframes have
many advantages, but PCs are getting more sophisticated by the day. And
Linux is being improved with the same kind of code that makes mainframe OSes
so reliable. Give it time, Linux WILL become as stable and powerful as any
mainframe. Why? Because it's there and it's the challenge of it, and that's
what people like us do. Because we can! There will probably always be a
place for mainframes, just not very many.

> (Anybody remember how many Linux servers you can boot on a
> single-processor
> 390?)
100,000 plus or minus a few depending on system load.
4,000 on an AS400