will lack of corporate support kill off Linux?

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Jul 17 17:25:13 CDT 2001

Ah, grasshopper. I beg to differ. Linux clusters ARE replacing mainframes.
Examples:

LA Transit authority - replaced mainframe with Linux,
Army war simulation mainframe replaced with Linux cluster (private
contractor),
Mexican Transit Authority - in process of moving from mainframe to Linux
cluster,
Big Oil companies replaced/replacing oil exploration analysis mainframes
with Linux,
NSI - replacing mainframes with Linux clusters,
NASA replacing mainframes with Linux clusters,
JPL replacing mainframes with Linux clusters,
Xerox PARC replacing mainframes with Linux clusters,
Linux cluster discovered down the hall from K&R at former Bell Labs think
tank in "New Joisey",
and many more.

> So, sadly, you probably won't see any more Crays, but you
> will still see Big
> Blue, Tandem, and some Compaq DEC's. for many years to come.
Undoubtedly! And you may also discover some of those Blues running OS/390
Linux!
Mainframes won't go the way of the dinosaurs, but the way of the Canadian
Lynx. Not extinct, but you'll be hard pressed to find one in the wild! And
it won't happen overnight, but over decades. Of course I could be wrong, IBM
may yet rise to the challenge and built the next generation kick a**
mainframe, maybe a holographic mainframe in a credit card. I'd buy that for
a dollar!

Hey, it could happen ...

Brian