will lack of corporate support kill off Linux?

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Jul 17 13:39:39 CDT 2001

> From: Jim Herrmann [mailto:b3d at kc.rr.com]
> No, Sprint is still, and
> will be for a very long
> time, a mainframe shop.  They have plenty of *nix, as well,
> but the corporate
> data lives in a DB2 for OS/390 data base.  Sprint PCS is a
> big AIX user.  They
> have a DB2/AIX/SP box(es) that has one table that is over 6
> Terabytes living
> across 64 nodes (or something like that), but the long
> distance company runs on
> mainframe DB2.  But even at that, they also have some
> mainframe DB2.

So what your saying is, Sprint is a prime candidate for Linux in Big Blue
hardware.
;')>

> It was not an exaggeration when I said that 70% of the worlds
> data resides on IBM
> mainframes.
Not all IBM mainframes, there are still a few other brands out there
Disney uses Unisys mainframes. But, don't despair, I am currently managing a
project to move a customer and all their data and applications off of a
Unisys mainframe to a multi-processor NT
(I couldn't sell them on the Linux solution). And get this, we have achieved
a speed increase of more than 300%.

> mainframe is NOT dead.
Not dead just being replaced by cheaper hardware. I predict many Linux
clusters replacing many of the remaining mainframes. I suspect IBM has a
vision here, which they haven't revealed to the world yet.

> to talk about Linux, and Linux on the mainframe is, without a
> doubt, going to be
> a very significant contributor to acceptance of Linux into
> Corporate America.
Yes. And behold I prophesy!
There is a storm coming. Linux's storm ...

> I want to get ahead of this trend, so I am pursuing Linux on my
> own time at home,
> and I love it.  It's a great OS, and there seems to be a
> really great community
> that has evolved around the whole open source concept.
> That's what this is all
> about.
>
> Sorry for my rants.  I'll be quiet now.
Why? Speak up and be heard! Dialogue is what separate us from the masses.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas

your Linux zealot,
Brian